Quote of the Day

" At the sunset of our days on earth, at the moment of our death, we will be evaluaed according to whether or not we resemble the Child who is about to be born in the lowly cave in Bethlehem, since He is the criterion by which God measures humanity. "

Pope Benedict XVI
Advent 2007

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Yokohama Geolanders MTs

Today is the day I got MTs onto Miss Daisy!

The impetus being the upcoming expedition on the Mat Daling trail. I have been researching on the available options and it is difficult getting MTs in Singapore. At least it's difficult getting the MTs of the right specifications.

I have been advised to get them from across the Causeway. I just have a few problems about driving around in JB, ensuring that the shop there does not botch up the tyre change and fleece me in the process. I also have the small problem of lugging back 5 ATs in the back of my truck. So, the next bet option is just to get them from here.

As luck would have it, the company had in stock 5 Yokohama Geolander MTs, with the same specs as the Grabbers that are on Miss Daisy. I have given much thought about whether to upsize my tyres but I at the end of the day, practicality and common sense overruled the other options and I had to admit that staying the same size would be best. As it is, I already have trouble getting into most carparks, any increase in height will effectively exclude me from ALL indoor carparks.

The Geolanders do not look as fierce as I thought most MTs would. But its look grows on you. I opted for plain black lettering as opposed to the raised white lettering on the sidewalls. I think it was a conservative decision. I negotiated a deal to store the ATs over at the dealer's place and to be able to run back there to swop to ATs when necessary.

Road handling was decent. It was not as loud as I imagined MTs to be. It has a pleasant purr on tarmac with a mild vibration at lower speeds during both acceleration and deceleration. This goes away once we pick up a certain speed. Off road, traction was discernibly better than with the ATs. Maybe it is all in my mind. I will have to confirm its effectiveness but for $250 a piece, it had better work better than the ATs.

The tyres were not cheap but probably a worthwhile investment for this offroading lifestyle. It may not be the best in its class for extreme type terrain but it will probably do for my expected level of offroading. I have included below, a picture of the tyre and the specifications.

No comments: