Quote of the Day

" At the sunset of our days on earth, at the moment of our death, we will be evaluaed according to whether or not we resemble the Child who is about to be born in the lowly cave in Bethlehem, since He is the criterion by which God measures humanity. "

Pope Benedict XVI
Advent 2007

Thursday, August 02, 2007

Holy Darkness

At long last, I have this song. This has been in my mind since I heard it during Mass on Holy Thursday. This was during the adoration of the Eucharist before it was taken away for Good Friday.

Just listen to it and the words. Tell me what you think.

Holy Darkness-John Michael Talbot

If you want the lyrics, let me know and I can leave it here.

Addition 9 Aug 07
Holy Darkness
by Dan Schutte

Holy darkness, blessed night,
heaven's answer hidden from our sight.
As we await you, O God of silence,
we embrace your holy night.

1. I have tried you in fires of affliction;
I have taught your soul to grieve.
In the barren soil of your loneliness,
there I will plant my seed.

2. I have taught you the price of compassion;
you have stood before the grave.
Though my love can seem
like a raging storm,
this is the love that saves.

3. Were you there
when I raised up the mountains?
Can you guide the morning star?
Does the hawk take flight
when you give command?
Why do you doubt my pow'r?

4. In your deepest hour of darkness
I will give you wealth untold.
When the silence stills your spirit,
will my riches fill your soul.
5. As the watchman waits for morning,
and the bride awaits her groom,
so we wait to hear your footsteps
as we rest beneath your moon.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I like this blog a lot. Being myself Catholic I like the ideas you express very much. I'm also thinking of opening a blog and dedicate it to Christianity. I also like kayaking. Recently I bought a foldable one, but still didn't use it. I live in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. Feel free to contact me please. email: gmgalistu@hotmail.com

All the best,
Gianni

Anonymous said...

i luv that song

Unknown said...

Just wanted to say thanks for putting up the link. This was one of the main songs during my father's funeral about 9 years ago. Still feel the haunting magical emotions the song evokes after all this time. Truly is a great reflection of the trials and obstacles that mask what the true intentions of His masterplan are.

God Bless,
Marcus

Anonymous said...

Hello,
I found your blog after Googling the the title "Holy Darkness." I have it on a Catholic CD and love it. After I found out my brother died earlier this week, I went to St. Mark's to light a candle for Michael. After praying, I opened the hymnal to song #474: Holy Darkness. It gave me peace. Also, I just noticed that your screen name is "Yellow Submarine." My brother Michael loved the Beattles, and my Dad used to sing that song while making pancakes on Saturday morning. That also gave me peace. Thank you for posting this info on your Web page. Blessings, Heather