Quote of the Day

" At the sunset of our days on earth, at the moment of our death, we will be evaluaed according to whether or not we resemble the Child who is about to be born in the lowly cave in Bethlehem, since He is the criterion by which God measures humanity. "

Pope Benedict XVI
Advent 2007

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Mountain Feet


My new boots are here!

I have just test run my mountaineering boots which arrived in Singapore last Saturday. After much deliberation, I decided on a pair of Koflach Arctis Expe plastic mountaineering boots.

Due to my upcoming trip to Elbrus, Russia ... I started thinking about getting my own pair of plastic boots after having a not so pleasant experience with renting boots from the agency.. However, the price was definitely a prohibitive factor coupled with the fact that I will not climb more than 1-2 times a year on snow and ice. After speaking to more people, I finally made the decision to do so to ensure the best possible experience and also as an investment for my interest in mountaineering.

So why a Koflach? Simply because it is plastic and this particular model is rated for the lowest temperature by any manufacturer. Also, the bright yellow colour of the boot is irresistible.

Here is a write up on the boots and the specifications:

The warmest boot made. We designed the Arctis Expe to conquer serious expeditions outside the lower 48.

It's also a great choice for technical ice climbing and general mountaineering.

Through Y-Technology, the lower part of the shell provides rock-solid stability with step-in crampons, while the upper part of the shell flexes nicely for hiking.


Expedition: Excellent
Vertical Ice: Excellent
Hiking: Very Good

Size: U.S. 5.5-13
Weight: 2,490g (U.S. size 9)
Hinge: Vario
Sole: Vibram
Lacing: Steel Ball
Shell: Y-Technology (dual density)


I bought the boot from REI and costs SGD 524.90

After a session of stair climbing to test run the boots, the review of the boots is a resounding GREAT! My initial fears that the size will not accurate were unfounded as the US 8 fitted snugly with a thin inner sock and wool outer sock. Though stiff, the dual density plastic offered flexibility and a greater degree of ankle movement without causing too much discomfort.

I can't wait to test it out in the snow and I think it will go very well with a pair of crampons....sigh more money.







No comments: