Quote of the Day

" At the sunset of our days on earth, at the moment of our death, we will be evaluaed according to whether or not we resemble the Child who is about to be born in the lowly cave in Bethlehem, since He is the criterion by which God measures humanity. "

Pope Benedict XVI
Advent 2007

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Wisper

Sounds like an advertisement for women's sanitary napkins. Rest assured, this is not about it!

I have decided on my kayak. After making tentative inquiries with dealers and evaluating both the features of the kayak as well as the depth of my pocket. I have finally come to a conclusion.

Having said that, it was by no means easy coming to the decision. The main difficulties were with the kayak itself. A host of questions had to be answered: hard shell vs foldable; length; model/brand were all considerations. The one which caught my eye the most were the Feathercraft boats, due to their portability and consistent reviews of seaworthiness. Fears of tracking and speed compared to their hard shell counterparts were slowly but surely dispelled by the many favourable reports for the foldables. After all, the physics was sound. The oft cited weakness in the foldable structure may actually act to absorb more of the wave energy thrown at the boat, allowing it to cope better with choppy sea states.

Feathercraft has a few models available. Earlier one, I had my eye on the Khatsalano, a greenland styled kayak. However, the price made the boat quite out of reach and if you noticed, it has been a while since I've revisited the issue of owning my own boat.

Here is where the Wisper comes in. It is a cross between the Khat and one of their other models. It maintains the Greenland style characteristics but in a slightly shorter package with a wider beam.

The most important thing...is the freedom the craft will allow. Paddling anytime, anywhere and being to camp out to explore the remote reaches of our island home. The possibilities are endless. I just cannot wait. Await the next post when I announce its arrival. Now I need a name for her....suggestions?

No comments: